TCMC Proposed Investment Plan
As of 12/31/17, TCMC had approximately $75,000 in equity (assets minus liabilities). For the past several years this equity has been sitting in a bank savings account or certificates of deposit (CD’s).
The Board decided that the money should be invested to keep up with inflation and to build some additional equity that could support TCMC operations or future building needs.
The following are the goals of the plan.
1. Protect value of assets against inflation
2. Grow our investments while mitigating risk
3. Eventually provide more scholarships and reduced fees
4. Protect TCMC’s mission and provide some financial security
The Board and Executive Director determined our investment time frames, goals and risk tolerance. Based on the fact that we cannot currently afford a building that our members would like, and that we don’t typically need to use our savings for operations, we decided our time frame was a least 5 years. We defined our risk tolerance in terms of the maximum yearly loss were willing to tolerate (25%) and the maximum number of years with a portfolio loss (3). We also had a goal to invest in socially responsible companies through low fee mutual funds and not buy individual stocks. Finally, we wanted to have a diverse portfolio.
We gave this information to a friend of Tucker (Joel) who works as an analyst on the MIT endowment fund. He provided advice about how to invest our funds in order to meet our goals and stay within our risk tolerance, free of charge. As a result we developed the following plan.
Keep $15,000 in emergency funds outside of our investment portfolio.
Invest in the stock market in equal installments throughout the next year to mitigate the risk of investing at the top of the market.
Buy and hold and not try to time the market.
Investment Portfolio Asset Allocation - Approximately $60,000
30% - Vanguard Social Index Mutual Fund - screened for socially responsible companies
30% - Vanguard International Stock Index mutual fund or a low fee international socially screened fund if we can find one
20% - Vanguard short term government treasury bond mutual fund
20% - Bank CD’s, preferably at a local credit union
The portfolio will be rebalanced once per year to maintain these ratios
TCMC has a Board of Directors that sets policy and strategic direction. The Board meets once per quarter, and corresponds via email with the Executive director and other directors between meetings. The weekly time commitment is approximately one hour. Please consider serving the community in this valuable capacity.
1. Be a voting Member of TCMC (must attend the annual meeting and have participated in at least one TCMC sponsored activity, where they signed in, during the past year.)
2. Have attended one 2-day residential or non-residential retreat sponsored by TCMC at any time in the previous five years.
3. Have assisted or volunteered in some capacity or served on the Board of Directors within the last 12 months. We are flexible on this requirement.
4. Professional teachers of religious doctrine may not be nominated to serve on the board.
5. Nominees should have the time necessary to perform the duties of serving on the Board.
Estimated Monthly Time Commitment: 2 hours
Attend at least 3 out of the 4 quarterly Board of Directors meetings
Familiarize yourself with TCMC Policies and Procedures
Correspond in a timely manner with the Executive Director & other Directors, usually via email
Set policy and strategy for TCMC
Board members serve for a period of one year.
If you are interested in being nominated, Please Email the information below to
Please submit your nomination by April 13th.
NOMINATION INFORMATION Name, Phone, email address and mailing address.
BRIEF BIO (no more than 5 sentences). Please include TCMC volunteer service, committees served on (if applicable), abilities, and any other pertinent information.
This is the placeholder for the community bulletin Board.