TCMC BOARD MINUTES, JUNE 9, 2014
Present: Mike Berard, Jim Hannan, Blake Barton, Linda Bacon, Barbara Hall
Current Officers: Linda Bacon, President, Mike Berard, VP, Jim Hannan, Treasurer
Barbara Hall, Secretary, Blake Barton, Executive Director.
1. Discussion of past Board's appointment of Blake Barton as Interim Executive Director. Blake will work approximately 10 hours a week and list of duties are available in past Board document. Motion passed to appoint Blake Barton as Executive Director. Details of the agreement will be followed up by Jim H. and sent to Board.
2. Financial Report for first quarter presented by Blake Barton. Motion passed to accept the report.
3. Discussion of land line telephone at center. It would save TCMC money not to have one – current cost is $57.00 a month. Blake is currently answering messages that are left and looking for a volunteer to do this job. Board agreed that having a phone no. where inquires and questions can be answered is important. Linda agreed to do research on other options.
4. Barbara was asked to be contact person with landscape Committee. Questions were asked about water use for plants. Barbara will contact Randal.
5. The VOLUNTEER VOUCHER System has been set up as of June 1. Blake is to keep track of number of vouchers that are out. Blake will send a message out to all members about the new system. Blake will keep a record at TCMC of those members with vouchers. It is not known how much this system will be used and impact it might have on work load of TCMC.
6. Blake Barton is the new head of the Retreat Committee. Donations to scholarship fund for retreatrants will be listed separately in the quarterly financial reports. Board will also clarify and publish information regarding money raised through FRIENDS OF TCMC.
7. Fund raising ideas were discussed. Mike Berard presented an idea to partner with a foundation to raise funds for non profits and how this would align with our mission.
8. Outreach to the Tucson community regarding our mission was discussed. Suggestion to post flyers in public places. Blake will put together a flyer and send it to Board members for approval. Mike has access to Kathy's Poster service for distribution.
9. Discussion of hosting more classes at TCMC in empty slot times. Blake will be contacting teachers about Fall Schedule. Blake also reported that new web site should be ready by Sept.
TUCSON COMMUNITY MEDITATION CENTER BOARD MEETING
October 13, 2014
Present: Linda Bacon, Jim Hannon, Mike Berard, Barbara Hall, Tucker Peck
1. Approved minutes of the last meeting.
2. Blake B. presented Financial Reports for the 2nd and 3rd quarter. Discussion of how inflows and outflows are shown on report. Blake is interested in a better software other than Quicken that would be more useful for our group. Suggestion was made to amortize the insurance costs to quarter payments. Ideas for Pay Pal change were discussed. Blake will set up LLC.
Financial reports were approved.
3. Update on Building investments and pledges given by Blake. One tour of the building was held and another on Oct. 18. Each person visiting the building will be asked to fill out a survey. Blake will collect this survey information and get it to the Board. Board agreed to keep the requests for investments and pledges open until the end of October and meet in early Nov. to make a final decision whether to move ahead with the next step to possibly purchase the property.
4. Discussion of policy regarding rental of the building for classes. The board decided to stay with the new policy for a year, until we see the results it will have on income and attendance and teachers' satisfaction.
5. Blues Festival update from Mike B.
6. Jim suggested that teachers or sit leaders announce that for evening sits, that anyone wanting to have an escort to their vehicle to let the teacher or another participant know.
7. Board meeting adjourned at 8:50.
8. Next meeting will be set for early Nov.